A rare Heckel contrabassoon for sale in superb, fully-restored condition. This Heckel contrabassoon is from the early 20th century and plays beautifully. It has been played professionally in the UK and is of outstanding sound quality. It plays down to low Bb, has excellent intonation and plays at A=440Hz.
The whole instrument has been disassembled in our workshop, the bore cleaned and sealed from top to bottom, all joints re-assembled and sealed, all tone hole faces levelled and sealed, with new pads throughout, all new corks and felts, keywork re-plated throughout, keywork regulated, tightened and oiled, and much more.
It has been a significant undertaking but the result is an instrument of rare quality that plays and feels like when it was new.
It comes with two bell joints - one for playing down to low C and the other down to low Bb. This contrabassoon has an exceptionally high quality and resonant sound and is sold in superb playing condition.
It is owned by a professional contrabassoonist who has now retired.
- A resonant, warm 'Heckel' sound with power and agility
- Excellent intonation throughout
- Plays well at A-440Hz
- Descends to low Bb (or low C with supplied Heckel alternate bell)
- Original varnish in very good condition with a gentle worn patina
- Keywork all newly nickel plated
- German system keywork including right hand little finger rollers, right hand alternate Eb key (very useful), water key, twin high note vents for left hand thumb plus left thumb C# key
- Modern Heckel VC2 crook in very good shape
- Old hard case (the new owner may consider acquiring a gig bag for it)
Commission sale on behalf of a private vendor.
Please contact us to discuss how best to try and/or buy this contrabassoon.