For sale, a rare Soulsby professional bassoon, made in the UK by renowned bassoon maker Jeremy Soulsby of Hereford, England. Soulsby made about 85 bassoons, which have achieved a high international reputation and are much sought after. This particular instrument is numbered in the 60s.
Soulsby bassoons are professional instruments, suitable for playing at the highest level, and they are all unique. This particular bassoon has a stunning, velvety sound, great projection and is very even in intonation. It has been very well cared for and is in excellent condition. It has one owner from new and has been played at the very highest level for the whole time. Some of the maintenance and servicing has been done by Jeremy Soulsby himself over the years.
This bassoon has just been completely overhauled by us including a full re-pad, all new corks and felts, multiple bore oil, professional set up including careful spring tension balancing, pad height adjustment and much more, and is in perfect playing condition.
The quality of this bassoon can only be understood through playing it, so get in touch if you are looking for something extremely rare and special. This bassoon is one of the best instruments money can buy.
This bassoon features:
- A beautiful and lively sound, velvety and rich, easy blowing and particularly sweet in the high register
- Near perfect intonation
- Original varnish in good condition with the usual age related minor surface marks, but looks very good overall
- Silver plating in excellent condition
- Keywork includes high D and high E keys (offset), left thumb whisper key lock, seven rollers, E-F sharp and C# trills, extra low C touch key, high A bridge, lined finger holes/water tubes extending into the bore, extra G#, F# and Bb keys
- French bell ring
- Brass tenon rings to protect the tenons
- Soulsby 1 and 2 crooks (original) in good condition
- New Tutti Fagotti gig bag with back straps
Commission sale on behalf of a private owner.
Keeping bassoonists safe from COVID-19
The safety of our customers and staff is of paramount importance and we have introduced a comprehensive set of procedures in order to safeguard everyone connected with the business.
Read our latest article to learn more about how we are keeping bassoonists and our products safe from COVID-19