Second hand Ernst Riedl bassoon for sale in great condition. We are always excited when a Riedl comes along, as these are rare instruments of outstanding quality. The Riedl is a pre-1950 instrument similar in sound and build to a fine old Heckel, but for a fraction of the price! High D key, crook/whisper lock, little finger rollers, big sound with loads of character that you won't find in a modern bassoon, and very free blowing.
Here is some extra information about the maker and his bassoons:
Riedl began his instrument making career working for V. Kohlert and Sohne in Graslitz, but in 1924 he began his own instrument making company. Riedl quickly became a true master instrument maker, managing to repeatedly produce bassoons with an very fine quality of tone. He only ever made one or two bassoons per month, and they were of the highest calibre. He began making bassoons in the early 1930s (having started with other woodwinds from 1924) and ceased manufacturing some time around 1950, shortly after his firm was nationalised after the war and he was forced to work for Kohlert.
This is a great opportunity to own a Riedl bassoon, sensitively restored in our workshops, and suitable for playing at a professional level.
This particular bassoon features:
- A characterful, sweet sound
- Free blowing and easy to play with excellent projection
- Good intonation
- Nice striped wood and varnish
- Silver plated keywork in perfect condition
- An excellent level of keywork including high D key, left hand thumb whisper key lock, six rollers including the very useful right hand thumb low E-F# rollers, E-F sharp trill, C sharp trill, B flat trill, alternate F sharp, alternate G sharp, extra low C key, useful pro level Ab/Bb trill key
- A new fibreglass hard case with back straps
- A Heckel crook/bocal
- 12 month warranty
This bassoon has been fully overhauled in the Double Reed workshop, including full repad and much more, and is offered for sale here in outstanding playing condition.